Tape Media

Tape Drives

Removable Disk Storage

Imation RDX

Imation RDX Bundles

Imation RDX Media Secure

Tandberg Data RDX QuikStor

Tandberg Data RDX QuikStation

Quantum RDX

HP RDX Removable Disk


Dell RD1000

Quantum SuperLoader 3

Quantum Scalar i40 Scalar i80

Overland NEO Tape Libraries

Overland NEOs StorageLoader

Overland NEOs T24 Loader

Overland NEOs T48 Library

Overland NEO XL Series

Tape Drive Autoloaders

HP StoreEver Tape Libraries

Tandberg Data Storage Library

Qualstar Tape Libraries

Overland Storage NEO S

NAS Storage

SnapServer NAS

SnapServer XSD 40 NAS

SnapServer XSR NAS Series

SnapServer XSR 40 NAS

SnapServer XSR 120 NAS

SnapServer DX DynamicRAID

SnapServer DX1/DX2 Bundles

SnapScale X2 Clustered NAS

SnapScale X4 Scalable NAS

Snap Server Support

Snap Server Software

WD My Cloud NAS

ioSafe Disaster Proof NAS

LenovoEMC StorCenter NAS

LenovoEMC px4-400d/ px4-400r

LenovoEMC px12-400r NAS

LenovoEMC px12-450r NAS

LenovoStorage N3310 / N4610

Pegasus RAID Storage for MAC

Pegasus2 RAID Thunderbolt

SnapSAN S1000 Storage Array

Nexsan Storage

Software Backup Novastor

Adaptec SCSI HBA Cards



ATTO 10GbE NIC Cards



Cables & Terminators

Barcode Labels

Turtle Storage Cases

HP Toner Cartridges

Imation Defender Flash Security

Repair Services

Reconditioned Tape Drives

Custom Sequence Barcode Labels for all your Tape Media - DLT, SDLT AIT and LTO FREE LTO BARCODE LABELS


Iomega StorCenter Network Storage Appliances

mTape LTO-6 with Thunderbolt Connectivity for MAC

Browse by Manufacturer
Mailing Lists

LTO NEWS BYTES - June 2009


Nearly 90% of your data needs tape


Tape continues to play an integral role within the storage environment as improvement in capabilities and reliability helps maintain its place as a viable means of storage. Despite recent battles over whether tape or disk is the right solution for all storage needs, data managers are increasingly realizing that a "one-size-fits-all" solution no longer holds true – data that needs to be accessed on a regular basis should be managed differently than that for archiving, long-term storage or disaster recovery.

Consider this: a UC Santa Cruz study found that 90 percent of data stored to NAS was never accessed again, underscoring the need to use a cost-effective means to store data and reduce energy costs.

What does this mean? Disk can be an appropriate medium for quickly accessing that 10% of data that needs to be readily available, and tape can be the effective solution for the remaining 90% of the data. Moreover, a blend of disk and tape – where near-term data is stored on disk, then backed up on a regular basis to tape – could deliver a more cost-effective solution to reduce power expenditures and physical space while protecting data offline from intentional or unintentional corruption.


We’ve all seen the headlines proclaiming the passing of tape, but most storage managers know that “these rumors have been greatly exaggerated,” to take a line from Mark Twain. A recent survey found that 60 percent of storage managers with disk-only backup environments plan to add tape back into their storage solution.

Changing requirements for storage has resulted in the cohesive operations of disk and tape – and the same survey found that nearly two-thirds of storage managers implement a combined tape/disk solution. They know tape is an ideal tool for long-term storage and will help reduce Total Cost of Ownership (TCO). They also realize the value in tape for offline data protection in a remote location to protect against viruses and disasters.

Shopping Cart
Your cart is empty.

Tandberg Data RDX Quikstor Removable Disk Cartridges

FREE IBM LTO Ultrium Tape Promotion - 35L2086

Imation FREE Docking Station Promotion with Purchase of select RDX Cartridges

HP RDX - FREE RDX External USB 3.0 Docking Station

ATTO ExpressSAS 6Gb/s RAID Adapters

Free Shipping UPS Ground - $500 min. order

Repair Services - 6 Month Warranty Fast Turnaround

Outlet Center - Refurbished Tape Drives - 6 Month Warranty